Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Where to find cute knit fabric

I made M a cute knit birthday dress. This is another Oliver + S pattern, the Hopscotch Dress/Top and Skirt. I get asked where I find cute knit and I mostly buy from Girl Charlee. They have a boat load of this chevron fabric in all sorts of color options. It's hard to find cute knit online and at your local fabric store. Truth be told I actually saw a little Sunbeam girl (yes, a 3 year old) who sits behind me at church and she had a skirt in this exact fabric and I fell in love. I kindly asked her if I could borrow her skirt and was told no. Fine!! kidding. This cute fabric was only like $6 a yard. Can't beat that. I only used 3/4 of a yard. I have enough fabric left to use for some sleeves if I decided to do a mix and match top. But M did wear her dress to her party and it looked like this wouldn't last size-wise to the fall. Oh well, I'll just have to make another one in 2T with 3T length since I've got a tall one. Good thing I just bought a few other options in this chevron print.

You can also find plenty of knit options on Etsy, Sewzanne's Fabric, Chez Ami, and of course Fabric.com.

Oh on a slightly different note, I've decided not to make these and sell them, unless I get someone who wants one so bad they request one. The fabric is cheap but the time to make it plus the license from O+S I have to buy per dress I make and sell makes them pricey. Some people don't care and they'll pay for it but most want target prices including myself. I can't make this for target price. Maybe that will motivate you to pull that machine out and make one of these for a cutie in your home.

1 comment:

  1. So cute Brittany. You got your money out of that sewing machine and then some. Maizie and Atticus must be good kiddies or you wouldn't have time to sew :)

    ReplyDelete